Student Membership - Complimentary
Student membership is an important pathway to demonstrate affiliation and engagement within the industry. Holding a student membership with ACA demonstrates to organisations that offer counselling student placements a commitment to meeting and upholding industry standards.
Important Note to Students
Student membership is a non-practising registration. This level of membership is exclusively for students enrolled in an ACA Accredited Course. Student members must not practice counselling while on this level of membership.
Student members who hold a an AQF Level qualification in another field who are employed by an organisation or agency can continue in practice in their employment while on a student membership. However, students are not able to start a private practice or contract in counselling while on a student membership as it is a non-practising membership.
Student members cannot:
Advertise that they are an ACA Registered Counsellor while still studying or while still a student member
Provide counselling services in private practice while still completing their counselling studies
Open a private practice or contract to an organisation or agency as a counsellor, or offer counselling services on a student membership as you are not yet qualified.
Student membership is available to persons enrolled in an ACA accredited course of study:
- Diploma of Counselling (AQF level 5)
- Advanced Diploma of Counselling (AQF level 6)
- Associate Degree of Counselling (AQF level 6)
- Graduate Diploma of Counselling (AQF level 8)
- Bachelor of Counselling (AQF level 7)
- Master of Counselling (AQF level 9)
Please note: A Graduate Certificate in Counselling AQF level 8 is not eligible for ACA membership.
Upon completion of study, a student can apply to upgrade their membership to a practising registration.
ACA ensures all Student Counsellors & Psychotherapists are equipped with the knowledge they need to succeed. Whether it's within the Employment sector or Private Practice, we want you to be the first to know. What you will receive includes:
- $50 discount when you upgrade to practising membership
- ACA Student Member Logo and Student Member Badge
- Free industry updates through Counsellors Care and the E-News 2.0 Newsletter
- Free digital subscription to the Counselling Australia Journal for all Students issued quarterly via email
- Access to Professional Development events through ACA Chapter Meetings across Australia once a month – Visit our EventBrite Page - https://www.eventbrite.com.au/o/australian-counselling-association-31228515045
- Early access to Podcasts, Webinars and Live Stream Events
- ACA Annual Conference discounts and free tickets
- ACA Facebook Social Media Page
- Automatic Free Student Member Insurance
How Much Does Student Membership Cost?
Student Members will now receive a complimentary two-year membership at zero cost if they are attending an ACA-accredited course in counselling and free digital subscription to the Counselling Australia Journal.
Student $50 upgrade discount on full practising membership
Once you have completed your ACA accredited course in counselling and ready to upgrade to a practising membership, you will be eligible for a $50 discount. The discount applies to student membership upgrades to Level 1 or 2 with $50 off membership fees for the first 12 months. Discount will only apply if your student membership has not expired at the time of upgrade. You will need to contact the ACA Administration team to have a student upgrade email link sent to you. Please follow the link to upgrade to a practising membership.
Join Online Today
Become a student member of the largest Counsellor registration body in the country. If you require more information please download the ACA Scope of Practice https://www.theaca.net.au/documents/ACA_Scope_combined.pdf call 1300 784 333 or email email@example.com